Well, Hello there! Happy New Year and all that. How was your Christmas? I'll be back tomorrow to talk about ours, alongside the obligatory NY resolutions post, but first I wanted to share this. This is what my 9 year old has requested for dinner tonight and because it vanished into the ether when I tried to get all "technical" with my blog (i.e trying to move stuff), I thought i'd post it again.
Excuse the grainy, 4 year old 'taken-at-night-in-my-kitchen' photo (which i'll replace) but I just wanted to share ASAP, as i think it's a really healthy, light, yet comforting dinner for this time of year. Switch to an anchovy-free salsa verde and it's suddenly perfect for Veganuary 2017!
White Bean Crostini w/ Salsa Verde
- 1 loaf of ciabatta, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, zest finely grated
- 2 x 400g tins cannellini beans, drained & well rinsed
- 80ml of chicken or vegetable stock
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large handfuls of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 small handful of mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 shallot finely diced
- 90ml extra virgin olive oil
- 60ml lemon juice
- 6 anchovy fillets in oil, finely chopped
- 2 heaped tsbs capers, rinsed, dried & chopped
- Pre-heat your oven to 200c/gm 6.
- Place your sliced ciabatta on a baking tray (you may need two) and drizzle or brush lightly with the olive oil. Sprinkle with sea salt & freshly ground black pepper and bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown.
- Once browned, transfer to a serving platter and leave to cool.
Next, make the bean mash by put the 2 tablespoons of olive oil, garlic & lemon zest and cook over a low heat for 2-3 minutes, until the garlic in softened but not coloured.
Add the beans, stock a pinch of sea salt & plenty of black pepper. Warm through for 3-4 minutes, tossing occasionally until hot.
Remove from the heat & lightly mash to roughly crush the beans. Pour into a serving bowl and allow to cool (the mixture will thicken as it does). Once cooled, drizzle with olive oil & sprinkle generously with black pepper.
For the salsa verde, Stir all the ingredients together in a bowl & mix well. Season with black pepper only and transfer to a serving bowl.