Happy Monday! Apparently, today is Blue Monday, the most depressing day of the year, so lets try and flip that on it's head with CAKE!
Yep, I baked. Usually, I hate to bake but every now and then I spot a recipe that I think might be worth all the swearing and washing-up, and this was one of them. It's the first recipe I've tried from one of the books I got for Christmas - Eat Beautiful which is like my Bible at the moment!
*I adapted the recipe ever so slightly, in that I subbed the caster sugar for coconut palm sugar as that's what i had lying about but it was still delicious, yet a little darker in colour.
Flourless Orange & Almond Cake
- 2 oranges
- 3 eggs
- 215g caster sugar*
- 300g ground almonds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp chopped pistachios for topping (optional)
- Place your oranges in a medium sized saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and cook for about an hr until tender. Transfer to a blender and blitz until smooth, set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200c / 400f / gm6 and grease a 22cm cake tin with a little coconut oil / butter and line the bottom with greaseproof paper.
- Put the eggs and sugar in a mixing bowl, and using an electric whisk, mix until thick and creamy coloured. Add the almonds, baking powder and orange mixture and fold to combine fully.
- Pour the cake batter into the tin and bake for 1hr until springy to the touch. Allow to cool for 5-10 mins in the cake tin, before transferring to a wire rack to cool fully.