One of my favourite things to eat in the whole world, when i'm craving a quick snack, is a good old packet of Salt & vinegar crisps. However, I am 37 years old now and I may be coming to the realisation that I can't juggle them into my mouth whenever I feel like it.
Enter Salt & Vinegar chickpeas! I know some (most) of you will be looking at me as if to say "as if some roasted chickpeas are going to suffice a crisp craving" - but trust me on this one, because they REALLY do. I consider myself quite the crisp expert, and when I reach for these instead, i'm just as happy. Honest.
Why not make a load for your Christmas snacking? Just keep them in an air-tight container so they keep their crunch.
Salt & Vinegar Chick Peas
- 1 tin of chickpeas
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- olive oil
- sea salt
- black pepper
- Drain and rinse your chick peas, then lay them in a medium sized saucepan and pour over the vinegar. You want each chickpea to be mostly covered, so add more vinegar if you need to.
- Bring to the boil and then immediately remove from the heat. Soak for 1.5 hrs.
- Heat your oven to 200c (400f, GM6) and then drain your chickpeas.
- Line a roasting tin with greaseproof paper and spread out the chickpeas so they are not piled on top of each other. Drizzle with olive oil, 1 tsp salt and a sprinkle of black pepper.
- Roast for 25 - 30 mins, checking after 20 as you don't want them to burn.
- Whilst they are still hot, sprinkle with another 1-2 teaspoons of salt, depending on taste.