A couple of weeks ago I went up to London to hang out with the lovely Lucy from London Loafing and whilst we were there, in between sips of our Rose Lattes, we shared an amazing vegan BLT at Farm Girl. Neither of us had tried coconut bacon before and were intrigued by this Vegan BLT idea, so we thought we'd give it a go and wow, what a revelation!
A couple of days later, I was back at home and craving it like mad, so I dug out the liquid smoke* from the back of the cupboard & set to work. Whilst my first attempt was good (i pan-fried the coconut on the hob with only liquid smoke) I've since been baking batches, with a few more ingredients in the oven and decided that it's definitely the way to go.
*You can get liquid smoke pretty much anywhere now, even my local Co-op sells it, just look in the American section.
- 1 1/2 cups of unsweetened dried coconut flakes
- 1 tbsp liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp soy sauce / tamari
- 1 /2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Pre-heat your oven to 160c / 325f and line a large baking sheet with greaseproof paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the liquid smoke, maple syrup, soy sauce and a little dash of water.
- Add the dried coconut to the bowl, and stir to fully combine.
- Lay out the coconut onto your baking sheet and sprinkle over the smoked paprika and black pepper.
- Place on the middle shelf of your oven and cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring every 5 until golden brown.
- 2 slices of sourdough
- lettuce leaves
- 1 beef tomato, sliced
- coconut bacon
- Spread your guacamole over the toasted sourdough slices.
- Top one slice with the lettuce leaves, then the tomato slices, followed by the coconut bacon.
- Top with the remaining sourdough slice & EAT!