I've had a bit of a hit & miss recipe testing week, this week. Some things I've made have tasted absolutely awful (this bizarre cheese thing) and some things have tasted out-of-this-world-gorgeous, but have looked shockingly bad (very, very green smoothie). It all left me feeling kind of deflated and I just felt like ignoring my kitchen until next week and instead sit on the sofa juggling salt & vinegar crisps down my neck. But then, whilst stuck in a pinterest time sucking vortex, I got intrigued by some energy bites. So, I packed up my troubles in my re-usable eco-friendly tote and headed down to my local health food shop to stock up, before making these beauties.
Trust me when I say that you need these in your fridge! They are a life-saver for that mid-afternoon slump and are goodness, happiness and guilt free snacking all wrapped up in one!
And of you don't have the ingredients lying around to make this version, you can make a non-raw version by switching the cacao with normal cocoa (but use an extra 1-2 teaspoons) and use normal caster sugar in place of the coconut palm. Sorted!
Raw Choco Energy Bites
Ingredients (makes 12 large or 20 small bites)
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup medjool dates - pitted
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp raw cacao
- 1 tsp coconut palm sugar
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp maca root powder (optional)
- Place your almonds in a food processor & whizz until they are crushed. You want it to be coarse, not fine like a flour - about 1 min.
- Next add the remaining ingredients and whizz until the mix is sticky.
- Take a small amount of the mixture in your hands and press tightly together, before rolling into a ball shape. I made 12 fairly hefty bites, but it's probably ideal to make 20 slightly smaller ones.
- Place in a freeze-able bowl or container, cover & freeze for 2hrs to set. Store covered in the fridge.