So apparently, I really, really want you to have breakfast covered! The last three recipe posts have been breakfast based, and I don't know why but I'm thinking, the recipes I'm posting all have one thing in common: time-saving! Even if I'm not a fan of breakfast, I know it's the most important meal of the day blah, blah, blah. So if I must have it, then it better be quick and not get in the way of my leisurely showering / blow drying / body moisturising / make-up applying schedule. That's what your weekday mornings are like, right?!! Sob.
So, apart from the added bonus of it being gluten-free and vegan, I like this breakfast because it can be made in advance and stored away. It goes very well with some ice-cold almond milk or some greek yoghurt and if you really, really don't do breakfast, then it's very good sprinkled over some vanilla ice-cream, but you didn't hear that from me.
Chunky Chocolate Buckwheat Granola
Ingredients (makes approx 8 cups):
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup buckwheat groats
- 1/2 cups coconut flakes
- 1 cup hazelnuts, roughly chopped.
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/3 coconut oil (as solid)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup sugar (I used coconut palm sugar)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup / honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (I used raw cacao)
- Pre-heat your oven to 350f / 180c / GM4 and line a large baking tin with baking paper.
- In a large bowl mix the oats, buckwheat groats, coconut flakes, chopped hazelnuts and chia seeds - set aside.
- Over a medium heat, in a small pan melt your coconut oil. Once melted, add your salt, sugar and maple syrup or honey and vanilla extract. Stir until the sugar is dissolved, then add your cocoa. Mix well.
- Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and fold to thoroughly coat, before spreading out onto your lined baking sheet.
- Press down using a spatula, so that the mixture is compact.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes before removing from the oven to stir the mixture.
- Return to the oven for another 10 - 15 minutes, taking out to stir every 3-4 minutes - taking care not to burn.
- Once cooked, remove from oven and leave to cool - the granola with crisp up a little more during this time.
- Once cooled, transfer to an air-tight container.
Recipe adapted from here