Summer is HERE! I'm calling it. I fail to believe my weather app, which is currently telling me that by this time tomorrow, it's all over & we will be once again plummeted into a spiralling tunnel of rainy doom. Nope, not here! Eternal sunshine forever is what I'm hoping for, and if not? Well, there is always this salad.
The main base for this months #getyoursaladon (yes, I am ignoring the fact that i've skipped March & April - ahem!) is red quinoa, which is my favourite kind because I love the nutty taste and texture it provides - plus the colour is fab too. Mixed up with some chick peas, feta & a zingy lemony dressing, this is a really summery textured salad. It's good on its own or sprinkled over some salad leaves and will sit happily in your fridge for a couple of days.
Quinoa, Chickpea & Feta Salad with Lemon Dressing
Ingredients (serves 4-6)
- 1 1/2 cup cooked* quinoa (red, black or pearl)
- 1 400g tin chick peas, drained & rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 125g feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt
- In a large bowl, combine your quiona, chick peas , chopped cucumber & red onion. Mix well to fully combine. Season with salt & pepper and add 100g of the feta. Mix well again and set aside.
- In a small bowl mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, salt & a pinch of black pepper.
- Drizzle the dressing a little at a time to taste (you might not want to use it all) and mix well.
- Crumble over the rest of the feta just before you are about to serve.
*Cook the quinoa according to the individual packet instructions, but if not a good rule to loosely stick to is the 1,2,3 method: 1 cup of quinoa + 2 cups boiling water will generally result in 3 cups cooked quinoa.