Every now and then, I crave burgers - who am I kidding, I'm always craving burgers, but as a fully signed up member of club grown-up, I realise that I can't eat them every day. Every now and then though I notice I've got some lonely little leftover Portobello mushrooms sitting in the fridge, and what better way to use those up than with a juicy vegetarian take on the old fashioned cheese burger ?!
This recipe is simple stuff. I served it with some Mexican Slaw and a homemade ketchup / mayo / pickle combo and it was delicious. It would also go well with some sweet potato wedgesand a big old dollop of homemade tomato ketchup!
Portobello Mushroom Burgers w/ Mexican Slaw
For the burgers (serves 4):
- 4 Portobello mushrooms
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Coarse salt
- 2 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- Olive Oil
- 4 burger buns
- cheese slices (optional)
- ketchup / mayo to dress (optional)
For the slaw:
- 2 medium carrots, peeled & grated
- 1/2 small red cabbage, shredded
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 hand full coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, thinly sliced (deseeded for less heat)
- large pinch of coarse salt
- small glug of olive oil
- juice from one lime
- Heat a small glug of olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat.
- In a bowl, mix together the balsamic vinegar, 2 tbsps of olive oil and a pinch of salt & pepper, and brush the mixture over the mushrooms before adding them to the pan.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes on both sides, occasionally basting if needed with the remaining Balsamic & oil mix.
- Whilst the burgers are cooking, make your slaw by simply combining the carrots, red cabbage, red onion, coriander and green chilli in a large bowl. Sprinkle with the salt, drizzle over the olive oil & squeeze the juice from the lime. Stir well to ensure everything is evenly mixed.
- When your burgers are almost done, add the optional cheese slice & begin to toast your buns.
- When the cheese it slightly melted, turn the heat to low whilst you load up your buns with your slaw first, before adding the burger and topping with your desired burger sauce topping...