I had a plan for this year - I was going to make and blog about a new salad every week. Partly because I think salads get a bad press, especially in the stodgy wintertime, and partly because salads are one of my favourite types of food. But, as with all plans I seem to make regarding this blog, it hasn't quite worked out that way, and here we are in week 3 of January and I've only got one salad under my belt. Oh well, let it be
'a salad a month'
'a salad when I get around to it'.
We are really onto a winner here, with our debut salad of 2014. It's got kale, it's got quinoa and it's got pomegranate - all great for you and perfect for this time of year. The added apple gives it an extra sweet kick & the walnuts provide a really nice texture.
This salad really is quick, easy and tastes absolutely delicious - enjoy!
Kale & Quinoa salad with Pomegranate, Apple & Feta
For the salad:
- 1/3 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 cups kale, finely shredded
- 1 large apple, sliced into matchsticks
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 feta, crumbled
For the dressing:
- 1 tbsp minced garlic,
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp agave
- 3/4 tsp coarse salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
1. Cook the quinoa by bringing the water and the quiona to the boil, then turn the heat down to a simmer and cover. Simmer for approx 15 minutes, until all the water has been absorbed. Remove from the heat and let it sit uncovered for about 5 minutes, to cool.
2. Once cooled, toss together the quinoa, kale, apple, pomegranate and walnuts. Let sit whilst you make your dressing:
3. In a clean jam jar mash together the garlic, mustard, agave, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over the red wine vinegar, lemon juice and olive oil. Put the lid on tight, and shake well to combine. (The remaining dressing will keep in the fridge in a tight fitting lid for about a month)
4. Dress the salad with the dressing
according to taste
before sprinkling over the crumbled feta.
5. Serve & enjoy!