Hey! I made you a salad! Not only that but I made you a salad that will a) fill you up b) stop you reaching for the chocolate come 8pm and c) will sit happily in your fridge as leftovers for a couple of days (perfect for late night spoon snacking)!!
It's fresh and zingy and everyone in this little home loved it. The faff part for me was roasting the peppers (lazy me) so the next time I made it, i turned to my trusty old jarred roasted peppers. Don't feel bad if you're tempted to do the same because well, life is short and anyway i saw Sir Jamie of Oliver use them on the TV once and if that isn't a green light to cheat then i don't know what is!
I serve this with grilled meat and a glass of super cold pinot grigio for the ultimate in BBQ chic.
Err, did i really just say that? Oh dear.
C'mon, lets go!
For 4 you will need:
recipe from Bill Granger Easy
- 2 yellow peppers*
- 2 red peppers*
- 500g dried Orzo
- 1 long red chilli, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp paprika
- zest & juice of 1 lemon
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- a large handful of flat-leaf parsley, leaves chopped
- 200g feta cheese crumbled**
* or 2 jarred peppers, sliced
** i used low fat feta to skinny it up & it totally worked
And you will need to do this:
1. Pre-heat your oven to 220c/GM7.
2. Place the peppers on a oven tray lined with baking paper and roast for 35 minutes, turning once half way through (keep an eye on the yellow pepper as that will cook slightly faster than the red).
3. Once the time is up and the peppers are dark and blistered, place them in a bowl and cover immediately with cling film so that the peppers can steam.
4. Next up cook your orzo according to packet instructions in a large pan of salted water until al dente. Drain & refresh with cold tap water.
6. Next, make the dressing by placing the chilli, garlic, paprika, lemon zest & olive oil in a small saucepan. Over a medium heat, cook for two minutes, until warm. Remove from the heat & squeeze in the lemon juice & season.
7. Remove the skins, core & seeds from the peppers & slice into strips.
8. Mix! Combine the cooked orzo, peppers, parsley, feta & dressing in a large bowl & toss gently to mix thoroughly.
9. Et viola! You're done. ENJOY x