A couple of weeks ago, i picked up
which is full of recipes for authentic Mexican grub. The first thing i decided on cooking up was these Spicy Bird Taco's and oh my, they were
good! I adapted Thomasina's recipe slightly because i hadn't made my own chipotles en adobo and i happened to have a tin of
ones in my cupboard which my sister-in-law sent over from the States. Luckily, i've seen this brand creeping in a few shops this side of the pond lately, which is good good news!
So, do you fancy something sweet, smokey and spicy?
Great - then these are for you!
We enjoyed ours with some home made
and lashings of
and the kiddos had the leftovers the following day in fajitas with some soured cream & grated cheese. Full smiles & full bellies all round. NOM.
So, here's what you'll need for four:
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion - sliced
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 large pinch of ground all spice
- 1 large pinch of ground cinnamon
- 2 bay leaves (fresh is best)
- 2 large cloves of garlic - chopped
- 2 x 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp of chipotle chillis in adobo sauce
- 4 skinless chicken breasts (or 600g of leftover chicken from a roast)
- 8 corn tortillas
- sea salt & ground black pepper
and here's what you'll need to do...
1. Pre-heat your oven to 190c / 375f / gas mark 5 & spray your chicken breasts with olive oil spray. Roast for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a pan over a medium to high heat. When hot, add the onions, sugar, all spice, cinammon, bay leaves and salt & pepper. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring as & when so as to not let the onion burn.
3. Add your garlic & cook for another 5 minutes.
4. Add your tomatoes and chipotles in adobo and simmer on a low heat for at least 20 minutes. The longer you can cook this for, the better the flavour.
5. Once your chicken is cooked through, get shredding.
6. Add your chicken to the tomato / chilli combo & mix well.
7. Serve with your torillas and any other sides you like such as fresh salsas, black beans or warm rice.
... and as always, hot sauce is a must, but beware of this bad boy! He is seriously HOT...