A tricky subject in this house.
Do I like them? Yes! No! Maybe. I love butter beans, black beans, canellini beans but i hate, hate, HATE kidney beans. I hate black eyed beans too & I'm also a bit weird about baked beans.
But, the mister loves them all, and Flo too will literally exhale
type of beany dish in a matter of minutes. Dex on the other hand wouldn't even entertain the idea of being in the same room as a bean, whereas India's current opinion on
food is 'can i throw it across the room? Yes? Winner!'
So, because we are a bunch of fusspots, choosing a bean dish as a meal in this house, is kind of like a leap of faith. But, sometimes you have to take one of those - it's important - and this particular leap was one that I'm bloody glad i did. It's sweet! It's zingy! It's flippin' amazing...
FOR TWO, YOU WILL NEED:
For the pink pickled onions:
- 180ml distilled white vinegar
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 whole black peppercorns
- 3 juniper berries
- 1/8 tsp sea salt flakes
- 1/8 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1/8 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 large red onion - sliced thinly & rings separated
For the salad:
- 1.5 tins of black beans, drained & rinsed
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 5 tbsp coriander, chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- sea salt
- extra virgin olive oil spray
- 10 large raw king prawns
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 50g feta cheese
AND YOU'LL NEED TO DO THIS:
First up - pickle those onions!
1. Place all of the pink pickled onions ingredients (except the onions themselves) into a heavy based saucepan & bring to the boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved fully.
2. Once boiling, add the onion & reduce to a simmer. Cook for 1 minute.
3. Transfer to a heat proof dish & set aside, allowing to cool for about 30 minutes.
Mix your salad
In a large serving bowl, add your beans, spring onions, salt, oil, lime juice & 4 tbsp of your coriander. Mix gently, then set aside.
Fry your prawns
1. Place a frying pan on a medium heat & spray (to cover) with olive oil.
2. When hot, add your prawns & a sprinkle of salt. Cook for about a minute, turning all the time.
3. Add your garlic & cook for another couple of minutes. Don't let your garlic burn.
1. When your prawns are cooked, add them to the salad. Mix & finely crumble your over feta cheese.
2. Divide between the two plates & sprinkle the remaining coriander over your salads.
3. Remove your onions from the pickling liquid, and place on top of your salad (don't scrimp on those, use them ALL - you'll be begging for more otherwise!)
4. Then look at how pretty it is!
5. Then DIVE IN! It's a salad, it's ok
to eat it with gusto!!
*I so wish i was you making this right now!