I'm currently in the middle of some exciting recipe testing for our November supper club and at the moment, I'm trying out some flavour combinations for possible canapés. I picked up a load of peaches at the greengrocers yesterday and spent the rest of the afternoon figuring out if they could come in handy. Most of the recipes I found for 'savoury' recipes, all seemed to involve goats cheese or cured meats and whilst i love goats cheese (meat, not so much!), it just felt a bit predictable.
Enter stage left, FETA! I knew it would work deliciously next to those sticky, sweet peaches so I whipped it up with a little cream cheese, before piling it onto these little toasts. Once I'd added the peaches, and drizzled a little basil dressing over them, they really were delicious. They were really quick and simple to make, you just need to get your toast, really thin and crispy, so you have a combination of textures. If the bread is too thick, it won't work half as well.
Grilled Peach & Whipped Feta Toasts
Ingredients (makes 8 toasts):
- ciabatta loaf, sliced very thin (8 slices)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- handful of basil leaves, chopped
- 100g feta
- 80g cream cheese
- 3-4 peaches, sliced (you'll want 2-3 slices on each toast)
- balsamic glaze (i used pre-bought - good recipe to make your own here )
- rose petals totally optional - perfect for a party though ;)
- First up, griddle your ciabatta slices until really crisp, then set aside.
- Next, make the basil dressing by combining the chopped basil, extra virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Next, make the whipped feta: in a small bowl spoon in the cream cheese and crumble in the feta. Keep stirring until all the feta is combined and the consistency resembles whipped cream. Set aside.
- Grill your peaches over a medium / high heat on a griddle pan. Keep an eye on them and once they have scorch marks on one side, carefully turn over until you get the same on the other side. Turn off the heat.
- Assemble the toasts by firstly spreading over your whipped feta. Next, drizzle over a little of the basil dressing, followed by a couple of slices of grilled peach, before finishing with the balsamic.